This Guideline is Currently under Revision
Revision Date: July 2013
Scope and Target Population
This guideline is targeted toward identification of adult patients at risk for osteoporosis, as well as identification and treatment of those patients with osteoporosis.
- Increase the percentage of female patients age 18 years and older who are evaluated for osteoporosis risk factors during a preventive visit.
- Increase the percentage of female and male patients age 50 years and older and diagnosed with osteoporosis who receive treatment for osteoporosis.
- Improve diagnostic and therapeutic follow-up for osteoporosis of adults presenting with a history of low-impact (fragility) fracture for men and women age 50 or older.
- Discuss risk factors for osteoporosis, and primary prevention with all patients presenting for routine health visits.
- Address pharmacologic options for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis with appropriate patients at risk for or who currently have signs and symptoms of osteoporosis.